Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hey ya'll

I know it has been a week. When I use to get on the computer I was at home all day by myself, now my grand daughter is living with me and I don't get on the computer as much or any most days. Besides I had a few days where I slept. Either because I stayed up all night or was tired, from what, nothing. Just tired. Today Jesse and I cleaned up and rearranged my little get a way room and I found the following article that was composed by people in the early stages of dementia. I am sure it probably came from one of the support meetings. Anyways here goes....

Please Talk With Me

  • Please take a little more time and have patience
  • Don't fuss or make a big deal about my memory
  • I may remember, please give me more time
  • Don't turn your back and ealk away- that really hurts
  • Talk slowly and don't rush me
  • I do not want pity
  • Don't always assume that it is due to Alzheimer's
  • Keeping busy makes me feel better
  • People with Alzheimer's are able to have really good days
  • I do not see Alzheimer's as the end of my life. Rather, it is the beginning of a new era in my life

I find people sometimes go over board one way or the other. Meaning they either don't see me as having any thing wrong or they think I am further gone than I am. Just accept me as I am. Have a good week and I hope to get back here sooner than this week. I have a busy week though so we will have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful thoughts. My dad has Alzheimer's, and it's difficult for him to communicate at times. I always try to listen, even though it can be awkward, and even though sometimes I can't always discern what he is trying to say. It's good to remember to be patient. Thanks.